So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone—especially to those in the family of faith.
~Galatians 6:9-10

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Favorite Repeat: Things That Make Me a Horrible Mom

When I first wrote this, I had two kids and had no idea I would have another one in just over a year.   Since then, I've had plenty of opportunity to add a few things to this list.  Reading through the list cracks me up.  I hope you get the humor.

Originally published February 6, 2012

When my kids need to blow their nose, sometimes I will tell them to pick up a tissue from the floor and use it instead of a new one. 

Sometimes I laugh when my kids get hurt. 

I make my kids try the food in front of them, and if they refuse, they don't get anything else.

My kids aren't allowed to play with the following: cell phones, TV controllers, computers, and most electronics.

I rarely entertain my kids; I usually make them entertain themselves.

I make my kids have a two hour quiet time, and I expect them to be quiet - either asleep or reading quietly.

I expect my kids to have decent manners when we eat at the table, even from my two year old.  They are to sit until we are finished eating.  Fifteen minutes is not too long to ask them to be civilized.  If they continuously hit their forks on the table, I take the forks away!

I let my kids eat food off of the kitchen floor.

I sometimes turn on the television for the kids when I've had it with them and just need a time out.  Or when I'm trying to cook and don't want them hanging on my leg.

I make my kids help me with the chores.

I usually completely ignore my kids while I am in the bathroom.

My kids go to bed at 7:00 p.m. every night (except for church nights).

When my unborn baby pushes against me, I push back.

Added December 2013:
I never give in to their whining...even if I was going to change my mind, if they whine, I stand firm.

When my kids are really cranky, I send them outside and close the door so I don't have to hear their fussing.  I figure the neighbors can shut their doors too.

When my kids smash cereal everywhere, I make them vacuum up their mess, even LittleMan has to clean up after himself at 18 months old (which is sometimes more of a treat than a consequence).

When my kids break a toy, it gets thrown away and they don't get a replacement.  If they broke someone else's toy, they have to pay for it.

And then there are things that make me a Great Mom.

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha I loved this post. Not a mom yet but love your heart. And most of things on here make you a GREAT mom ie: eating food off the floor. No waste! What a great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I think I do most of the same things on your list :) We are such horrible moms! :)

    Love your blog. I'm a new follower from Titus 2Days.

    Keri

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your opinion! You can comment anonymously, but please sign your name. I like knowing who my readers are. :)

If you know me personally, please keep the privacy of my family by not using any names.